Search This Blog

Friday, December 9, 2016

About Me Post: Why I like Makeup

So I am always posting reviews and information regarding products; makeup, household, etc. So I thought I would make a post about myself and why I have chosen to make this blog write, and talk about one of my favorite hobbies: makeup.
Dressup and makeup fun!
So I mean, it's kind of hard to completely organize my thoughts about makeup and make sense of why it is important to me amoung my other hobbies and interests. So I hope you can muscle through the awkward beginning portion of this writing (i.e. right now, lol) and enjoy this piece when I get more into the groove of things.

So to start off like many other cis-gendered girls I was always interested in being like a pretty princess, Barbie, my mom, amoung many other things. I had and wanted all things girly and colourful as well as anything fashionable or things that stand out in one way or another. My mom and dad were super (and still are) in the sense that they let me march to the beat of my own drum and support me no matter what my new quest/adventure/interest is at the moment so-on-so-forth. 
Work selfie after I played in the
 makeup section of the department store.
 
When I was about 6 years old my mom would gladly paint her finger nails with me as well as let me paint her nails as well. Especially after my brother was born she tried to show me the same love she had always so that there was no sort of jealousy. We used to have "girl-dates" and still do where we would play with makeup, get dressed up and go out to a movie, dinner, go bowling, etc. It was really fun and to this day I still eqate makeup to fun activities or even just as the fun activity itself. A good way to focus my creative energy and spend time with my mom as well- so I think it is pretty important to note I've never had an early-life negative expirience relating to makeup and was raised and grew up with a healthy relationship with beauty and fashion as a whole. I'm very fortunate for that- thanks mommy!

Before I had super brow skills.
It's cute to look back at my old methods and
see how I used to apply makeup and how I do it now!


So with that back story on to why it is fun and an important part of my life today:

-It has always been a positive and creative way for me to vent my emotions and thoughts. I suffer from severe depression and have since I was a young child and for the most part anything creative or distracting has been my treatment method up until I was old enough to run tests and be put on medication. Any time something was upsetting, caused dismay, or if my mental illness acted up especially harshly, makeup was one option for creative outlet, expression, and distraction.

-I like the way it can make me feel. Obviously since I was raised with a positive attitude towards makeup, beauty, and fashion, I've never thought I've NEEDED makeup. Sometimes; however, when I'm feeling down, the outward expression though makeup that I create can make me feel more confident about the world around me, It also in some cases gives me a new identity (a distraction/diversion) from the issues surrounding me or simply the issues created by my mental illness. So it is a helpful tool to get me through the day. 

-It's fun! It's a hobby and in that sense I enjoy seeing the transformations I can make and the art I can create. It is something I can't really explain, but it is really fun. I like how the tranformation progresses, I like that there is a meditative quality to it, and I think it's fun to see the final product and compare each stage. 

-The community behind makeup tends to be overwhelmingly positive, friendly, and supportive. When you find a group of people who share a common interest, much of the time these people are super supportive and nice to one another and open minded to new ideas and opinions of the hobby you share. It can also be good because some makeup enthusiasts also use makeup as a creative outlet or one of their treatements for their personal issues or mental health issues and so you can commiserate and communicate giving you a sort of support group. 

-There are endless possibilities and makeup and it's styles are constantly evolving, changing, and improving. It would be really hard to run out of new ideas involving makeup because there are just so many possibilities as well as so many unique individuals who love sharing their ideas in the "makeup world" so to speak.

Overall I just really personally enjoy makeup as a whole. The culture, community, the creativity, theraputive qualities, and expression that can come from using this tool or hobby- makeup. 

Why do you like makeup? Dislike makeup? Have any fun/interesting stories involving makeup? Please share in the comments below! 

As always thank you for reading and I hope you have a lovely day! -Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment